MPEG-V, formerly known as Information Exchange with Virtual Worlds has been finally renamed to Media Context and Control. I think this is generic enough to cover everything in there now and what will come in the future. If you think this is too broad, then remember the name of MPEG-21 is just Multimedia Framework. Btw. an extended call for proposals has been issues for technolgies related to haptics & tactile, emotions, and virtual goods. For the rest, we have new working drafts for architecture, control information, sensory information, avatar information, reference software, and conformance.
At its next meeting, MPEG will host two sort of workshops which are also open to the public. The first one is related to the MPEG Extensible Middleware (MXM) and the second related to Modern Media Transport. I'm a co-organizer of the former but you'll also find me at the latter.
The Call for Evidence on High-Performance Video Coding has been issued with the following timeline
- Test sequences and AVC High Profile anchors available: 2009-04-30
- Expression of interest to participate: 2009-06-01
- Submission of contributions (descriptive document): 2009-06-22
- Decoded sequences, bitstreams and binary decoders available at London by 2009-06-27
- Evaluation of responses: July 2009 MPEG meeting (shall be attended by submitters)
- Depending on the outcome of the Call for Evidence, MPEG intents to issue a Draft Call for Proposals by the end of the July meeting
If you ask yourself why I hardly ever post something about audio, the reason is very simply, I'm a video and systems guy but if you'd like me to dig into audio stuff, please let me know!