The Institute of Information Technology (ITEC) at the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt (AAU) invites applications for:
Doctoral Student Position (100% employment; all genders welcome)
within the Intelligent Climate-Friendly Video Platform project called “GAIA”
at the Faculty of Technical Sciences. The monthly salary for these positions is according to the standard salaries of the Austrian collective agreement, min. € 3.058,60 pre-tax (14x per year) (Uni-KV: B1, https://www.aau.at/en/uni-kv). The expected start date of employment is April 1st, 2023.
AAU (ITEC) has been working on adaptive video streaming for more than a decade, has a proven record of successful research projects and publications in the field, and has been actively contributing to MPEG standardization for many years, including MPEG-DASH.
The threat of climate change requires drastically reducing global greenhouse gas emissions in the next few years. We, at the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, research on how to reduce the energy consumption of digital technologies, particularly video streaming. Thus, we have recently started an Intelligent Climate-Friendly Video Platform project called “GAIA”. GAIA aims to research and develop energy-efficient video streaming approaches in all phases of the video delivery chain, from i) video coding, ii) video transmission, and iii) decoding of video data and video playback on end devices. For further information about the project, refer to GAIA page and Bitmovin news.
- Master or diploma degree of Technical Science in the field of Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, completed at a domestic or foreign university (with good final degrees);
- We expect a high level of interest in conducting scientific research, team spirit, communication;
- Excellent English skills, both in written and oral form.
Desirable qualifications include:
- Excellent programming skills, especially in Python, C, and C++;
- Knowledgeable in energy-efficient video communication, virtualization and working with Docker, video streaming (one or more of the above-identified video delivery chain areas), HTTP Adaptive Streaming, machine and deep learning, or/and clould and edge computing;
- Relevant international and practical work experience;
- Social and communicative competencies and ability to work in a team;
- Experience with research activities.
The working language and the research program are in English. There is no need to learn German for this position unless the applicant wants to participate in undergraduate teaching, which is optional.
- Excellent opportunities to work in a lively research environment and collaborate with international colleagues
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching
- Numerous attractive additional benefits; see also https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature, and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in German or English by providing the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of degree certificates and confirmations
- Proof of all completed higher education programs
- Concept of a (potential) dissertation project (one-page maximum)
The University of Klagenfurt is aware of its social responsibility even during COVID-19. This is reflected by the high proportion of fully immunized persons among students and employees. For this reason, a continued willingness to be vaccinated in connection with COVID-19 is expected upon entering university employment.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and explicitly invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will receive preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfill the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
Submit all relevant documents, including copies of all school certificates and performance records by email (see contact information below).
Application deadline: December 19, 2022.
Klagenfurt, situated at the beautiful Lake Wörthersee – one of the largest and warmest alpine lakes in Europe – has nearly 100.000 inhabitants. Being a small city, with a Renaissance-style city center reflecting 800 years of history and with Italian influence, Klagenfurt is a pleasant place to live and work. The university is located only about 1.5 kilometers east of Lake Wörthersee and about 3 kilometers west of the city enter.