bitmovin recently release two white papers related to MPEG-DASH describing two major components of any DASH-based ecosystem. The first white paper is related to preparing content compliant to MPEG-DASH utilizing cloud infrastructure and is referred to bitcodin™ (PDF) offering transcoding & streaming as a service (T&SaaS). As such it provides benefits across multiple dimensions:
- Remove capacity bottlenecks in the streaming media workflows.
- Flexibility to scale resources and associated operational costs with the demand.
- Right-size encoding and streaming infrastructure.
- Eliminate the necessity for capital investments in dedicated encoding systems.
- Full flexibility to choose quality and speed of encoding.
- Reduce reliance on specific technical encoding/streaming expertise.
The second white paper is about the client adaptation framework which is essential for every playback device. Therefore, bitdash™ (PDF) is a suite of highly optimized MPEG-DASH clients for the broadest range of platforms and devices, delivering the best streaming performance and user experience, in particular in adverse (mobile) network conditions.
bitdash™ is the result of continued R&D investments and incorporates patent pending technology resulting in MPEG-DASH compliant client solutions that deliver up to 101% higher effective media throughput as well as significantly higher Quality of Experience (QoE) compared to existing adaptive bitrate streaming technologies and clients.
Further information can be found at http://www.bitmovin.net/.