Bitmovin's 2018 Video Developer Survey reveals interesting details about
- streaming formats (MPEG-DASH, HLS, CMAF, etc.),
- video codecs (AVC, HEVC, VP9, AV1),
- audio codecs (AAC, MP3, Dolby, etc.),
- encoding preferences (hardware, software on-premise/cloud),
- players (open source, commercial, in-house solution),
- monetization model,
- ad standard/technology, and
- what are the biggest problems experienced today (DRM, ad-blocker, ads in general, server-side ad insertion, CDN issues, broadcast delay/latency, getting playback to run on all devices)
For example, the figure below illustrates the planned video codec usage in the next 12 months compared to the 2017 report.
|Planned video codec usage in the next 12 months 2017 vs. 2018.|
In total, 456 survey submissions from over 67 countries have been received and included into the report, which can be downloaded here for free.